To Grip, or Not To Grip?
You either love or hate camera battery grips… personally I love them!
Camera’s are getting smaller and smaller which in many ways is a good thing because they are lighter and not as bulky, however I like a larger feeling camera body. The new Canon Rebel for example just feels so small in my larger hands and just does not feel stable. I felt the same thing when I bought my new Canon 50D… so I threw on a battery pack!
Ok, so it feels bigger and is easier to hold, but what else will it do?
- 2x the batteries = 2x the time without charging!
- Don’t feel like a dork with your right hand over your head while taking vertical shots.
- Focus button, and index finger dials are in the same position as a horizontal camera would have.
- More of a natural feel.
- Makes it appear you have a bigger, more expensive, more professional camera.
There is always a bad side to every story, so here it is:
- Extra weight.
- Mounting another piece to your camera may add extra shake while mounted to a tripod.
I love my battery mount! I never need to worry about batteries because it will last so long! Everything just feels natural in your hand while doing vertical and horizontal shots!